Sunday, December 28, 2008

Don't get old

Man, who knew that painting is hard labor? About 7-8 years ago, I was actually painting for a living for a short period of time. I never felt sore afterwords and I'd paint almost an apartment a day. My arms are killing me now though and I've only managed to paint a few rooms. I suppose that being totally inactive for the last year is probably why I'm so beat. I did manage to get at least one coat on all the ceilings in every room so it's a good start.

Turns out the ceilings required two coats. When I came back this morning I saw streaks, poor coverage and under color showing through. Guess I should have figured on this though I was hoping that I could get away with one. You'd figure white on white should be straightforward but the old paint had a purple tint and the Behr ceiling paint I bought was more bright white and on the yellow side of the spectrum. One step forward, two steps back. We now have the whitest ceilings on Long Island. Looks like I'm also going to have to prime the walls now too or I'm going to be painting into 2010. I have my bucket of Kilz at the ready.

Though I do have a few days between now and our move-in date, I don't expect to be finished with everything at that point. I imagine I'll be doing trim while we unpack. I also have to get some quarter-round shoe molding to replace what was pulled out to do the floors. Guess I'm gonna become quite handy with a radial chop saw and ye olde coping saw. I forsee MANY trips to the Home Depot in the next few months. Maybe we should open an account...

No comments:

Post a Comment