Tuesday, March 24, 2009

New Additions

After being a staging area for painting supplies and equipment, the living room is finally taking shape. Last week our fancy modern furniture arrived by truck. The table came at 6:30 am. I was still in bed when the doorbell rang, I was all groggy and half-awake and here comes our table. I had never experienced anything like that before, very strange to get a delivery of anything so early in the morning. The couch is covered in plastic right now in an attempt to ward off our scratch-happy cats. I'd like to keep it claw-mark free for a few days at least though the cover will have to come off at some point. We hope they don't tear it to shreds.

But anyway, who knew I'd become such a design/furniture nerd? It's in my blood somehow, probably handed down by my parents. I grew up with a Knoll/Saarinen table and tulip chairs and all sorts of modern furniture in our house. I never gave it a second thought until a few years ago. Mostly, I just like the way it looks as opposed to things you get from your generic home furnishing stores like Pottery Barn etc. But I do enjoy reading about it and learning about where the ideas come from and the impact it had on design as a whole. Definitely fits with my idea of re-thinking basic items and giving them a unique twist. Plus, modern design is just plain cool when you take the time to think about it.

Thankfully, Amy and I seem to like the same types of things, so she is willing to go along with my design-snob ideas.

You'll also notice that she put away a good portion of her books into the glass cabinets, a fairly large and time-consuming undertaking in itself. I think she did a great job.

Anyway, here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment